Cape Gun Works Range Safety Rules
Document Date: 5.11.2017
- Anyone entering this facility with a firearm must have a valid LTC or FID card. Private instruction is required for customers without a valid firearms license.
- All CGW employees have unquestionable authority regarding the operations and rules of the range and the shooting facility. Any deviation from the rules must be approved by a range safety officer or employee before the deviation.
- All Shooters are expected to know and adhere to range rules. If you observe a violation of the range rules, please bring it to the attention of any staff member and we will take corrective action. All Range Safety Rules MUST be complied with unless you receive express permission to deviate by CGW staff.
- We reserve the right to deny service to anyone at any time for any reason.
- SHOTGUN IS LIMITED TO BUCK AND SLUGS. NO RELOADS/HAND LOADS. NO MUZZLE-LOADED FIREARMS. No tracer or incendiary bullets. Any Ammunition entering the range area must be authorized.
- All Federal, State and Local firearm laws must be obeyed including transporting firearms to/from the range. If you are unsure of a law, please ask the CGW staff for clarification.
- Treat all guns as if they are loaded
- KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER until you are ready to shoot; the trigger guard is NOT an acceptable place to keep your finger. The preferred place is the seam between the slide and the frame
- Keep your firearm pointed in a generally safe direction whenever possible. On this range, downrange is considered the safe direction
- Be sure of your target, what is in line with it and what is beyond it
- Big Picture Rule: You are in control of a firearm, which if used negligently, may cause death or harm to yourself, or someone else.
- NO food, beverages, or chewing tobacco, snuff or smoking allowed in the range area.
- Drug and alcohol use is prohibited. No one under, or suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or any other intoxicating substance, will be allowed in the range. Prescription drugs that may impair your ability are also prohibited. Persons smelling of alcohol or appearing intoxicated or impaired will be required to leave the facility.
- RSOs, RANGE STAFF AND CGW Employees have the right to inspect all firearms, ammunition and equipment.
- All firearms entering or leaving the range must be UNLOADED & IN A CASE. No Uncased firearms may enter or leave the CGW facility. (Exception is a carry gun or duty gun in a holster and as a courtesy we ask that you notify the RSO)
- If you intend to do bodily harm to yourself or others you are not permitted on the range.
- No open-toed shoes allowed on the range. Exposed skin is at risk in making contact with hot shell casings. Please, dress appropriately.
- The Range Safety Officer (RSO) on duty is in direct charge of the range and all participants at all times. The RSO may immediately ban from the range any person handling a firearm in an unsafe or careless manner. The RSO may also void a membership should such conduct warrant.
- Commands issued by the range staff must be followed immediately. When the command CEASE FIRE is given, STOP SHOOTING IMMEDIATELY and remove your finger from the trigger. Keep the gun pointed down range and make the firearm safe. PLACE YOUR FIREARM, WITH THE ACTION OPENED, ON THE BENCH AND BACK AWAY FROM THE FIRING LINE IMMEDIATELY. Await further instructions from range personnel. Failure to comply will be deemed a violation of safety rules and may result in permanent expulsion from the range.
- In case of Emergency and/or power outage, treat the situation as if a cease fire command has been given and await further instruction.v
- Always wash your hands and face immediately after shooting your firearm. Lead wash and lead wipes are available. Sinks are located in the restrooms for your use.
- Cover any open cuts prior to entering the range. If you sustain an injury, do not treat it in the range. Ask for assistance, cover the injury, and leave the shooting range (if possible) to treat the injury. If you do sustain an injury, whether major or minor, inform the CGW staff.
- Any person with a medical disorder or a disability which may pose a hazard or potential hazard (including, but not limited to, Parkinson’s, epilepsy, hearing impaired, etc.) must notify the RSO prior to entering the range.
- Pregnancy - Health officials advise that pregnant women limit their exposure to lead. While CGW will not prohibit pregnant shooters, we take no responsibility nor liability for any effects due to lead exposure or excessive noise levels. Consult your physician.
- Only handle Firearms on the firing line, in the gun cleaning area or if directly assisted by CGW staff. Do not handle firearms on the sales floor or in the classroom/lounge. No Ammunition is allowed in the gun cleaning area.
- Place eye & hearing protection on BEFORE entering the first door to the range. If you do not have eye/ear protection, it may be purchased from our inventory.
- Only Cape Gun Works ammunition is to be used in rental firearms. NO RELOADS
- Use only the correct ammunition for your firearm. It is YOUR responsibility to be sure your firearm is safe to operate and to know how to use and operate it safely. If you have a question, or feel unsafe or unsure AT ANY TIME, ask for the assistance of an RSO
- Ammunition Malfunctions
- Misfire: Occurs when the round does not fire, either due to the firearm, or the ammunition.
- Hang Fire: Delayed ignition of the powder charge. The gun does not immediately fire.
- Squib Load: Weak or partial ignition of the powder charge. Bullet only moves down the barrel partially, creating an obstruction. A small 'pop' may be audible, and light smoke may release from the chamber. It is important not to fire another round if a squib load is suspected, as this could lead to injury, death, and/or catastrophic damage to the firearm or shooter
- If you have, or suspect an ammunition malfunction: Maintain your grip and stance, keeping the firearm pointed down-range for at least 30 seconds without continuing fire. Clear the firearm and ensure that a squib load has not occurred by running a range safety flag through the barrel. If you need assistance, DO NOT HESITATE to ask an RSO for help.
- Always keep firearms pointed downrange at all times and NEVER HIGHER THAN THE TARGET.
- No drawing from a holster and firing without RSO approval. No shooting at objects on the floor, walls or ceiling. If you have a Concealed Carry Permit, you MUST notify the RSO on duty that you are carrying a firearm in the range.
- Un-aimed or uncontrolled fire is strictly prohibited. All shots must be fired at approved targets. You are financially responsible for any damage that you cause to the facility.
- Firing a shot that results in damage to any range equipment may result in a “repair fine” and/or removal from the range.
- Firearms should be brought to the ready position from the bench up, NOT from above your head. Do not make the motion of casting a fishing rod.
- Shoot only at YOUR OWN TARGET – NO CROSS-LANE FIRING
- TARGETS - Only paper targets and those authorized by the state of Massachusetts, may be used on the range.
- No images characterizing the human form.
- We reserve the right to prohibit targets we deem offensive.
- Use an appropriately-sized target for the distance you are shooting, placed at eye level, to ensure that your shots strike the backstop and not the floor, ceiling, or target carrier.
- NO RAPID FIRE. One shot per second rule applies. Faster shooting is allowed upon the discretion of an RSO and a showing of proficiency. Poor recoil management can result in damage to the range, injury or death of participants, observers or staff.
- SLIDE-FIRE STOCKS – are allowed at the discretion of a RSO and a showing of proficiency.
- Dry firing is only permitted at the firing line or when accompanied by CGW staff.
- Three people maximum allowed per lane. Only one person may fire from a shooting booth at a time. The other parties may stand behind and act as a coaches or observers.
- Do not exchange firearms with another booth, switch shooters not firearms.
- Firearms, Magazines and Ammunition may only be handled in shooting booths.
- DO NOT BRING A LOADED OR MALFUNCTIONING FIREARM OFF THE RANGE. If there is a problem, lay the firearm on the bench, with the muzzle pointed down range and notify the RSO. (exception is a carry or duty gun in a holster)
- NEVER cross the firing line or proceed in front of the barriers.
- Brass may only be retrieved from behind the firing line and only the amount you brought into the range. DO NOT throw brass in garbage cans. Please push brass forward when finished shooting.
- Only one loaded firearm at a time. All firearms not in use must be placed with the muzzle facing downrange, with the action open, and a clear chamber flag in the action. No other gun handling behind the firing line.
- Be courteous and aware of other shooters around you on the range.
- FIREARMS MAY ONLY BE HANDLED IN SHOOTING STALLS OR WHEN ASSISTED BY CGW STAFF. This includes ALL AMMUNITION and Magazines. Only handle guns, magazines, and ammunition in the shooting booth. Only load or unload magazines in the shooting booth. No handling of firearms outside of the shooting booth, or outside the range is allowed, unless directly assisted by CGW staff or at the cleaning station.
- DISTANCE RULES:
- Targets must be placed at a minimum of 5 yards when shooting a pistol or long gun.
- Targets must always be placed so that the muzzle of your firearm is parallel with the ground.
- Targets must be placed so that you are firing into the backstop/bullet trap, and are not firing into the ceiling or floor.
- Please shoot from the center of the shooting bay. No Prone shooting. Rifle and pistol rests are available for use, free of charge.
- The minimum age to use the range is 10 years with a guardian.
- Minors between 10 and 17 will be allowed to shoot rifle and shotguns. At the discretion of a staff RSO, a minor will be allowed to fire handguns.
- Minors (under the age of 18) must initially be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian, who must sign a separate Minor Waiver Form. Thereafter, the minor must be accompanied by an adult.
- Periodically, changes may be made to the Range Safety Rules and other CGW procedures. It is the shooter/member’s responsibility to review the posted Rules for any changes and abide by any such changes.
- Any equipment or other personal items in/on a shooting lane left unattended are at the owner’s risk. CGW is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
"They’ve been better-stocked throughout the past year than any other gun shop. Every time I stop in, Tim goes above and beyond helping me out with anything from body armor to optics."
"An excellent, welcoming gun range. I always feel welcomed when I go there, both from the staff and range members. Everyone is happy to help you out if you need it. The range is clean and well-lit with adjustable lighting in the firing booths."
"They were polite, knowledgeable, and professional. They made it a comfortable and fun environment for us. Store and range were perfectly clean."
"Excellent customer service. Knowledgeable employees. Great ownership. Always worth the trip. As a customer I felt really appreciated as every one working here was willing to assist. Would recommend a visit."
"I would like to Thank Cape Gun Works for all the private Training! Especially Rod he sold me my 1st gun and I asked if he would give me a couple of class. He was so patient with me and help me so much. I highly recommend CGW!!"
"I couldn’t help but join the range here. Every single staff member I’ve dealt with has been extremely nice and helpful. Great selection of guns and ammo (even in these Democratic times). It’s worth the drive from wherever you’re coming from."
"Cape Gun Works is an amazing range and store. They have a wide variety of products, their staff is always extremely knowledgeable and helpful, the store is clean and well managed. The employees are friendly, there’s always coffee brewed & they even have an archery selection."
"10/10 would totally recommend Cape Gun works to everyone from beginner to experienced in both firearms and archery! I've purchased a long rifle, ammo and a bow from them so far."
"It is just all around a 10/10 experience every time I come in. I look forward for many more years with you guys. As well thanks to these guys I heard about USCCA and it's great to have legal protection, Thanks for your service and wonderful referral."
"Absolutely brilliant place. Real professionals. Safety taken seriously and you're trained to use the guns properly. Lots of one on one guidance. I've been to another gun range before and can tell you that's not the case everywhere."
"This was my first time to Cape Gun Works and I will say I left very impressed. Thanks for your welcoming attitude, your friendly staff, and your excellent customer service. Keep it up, it really goes a LONG way"
"Knowledgeable people that are eager to help. Great inventory at reasonable prices. Many classes are available for varying degrees of experience. Highly recommended."
"This was an excellent experience. We would definitely do it again. I had never held a gun before and knew literally nothing. The instructors where informative, knowledgeable and patient."
"Cape Gun Works is run as a highly professional, well-thought out business. I’ve been dealing with them going on two years now and have purchased guns, ammo, accessories, gunsmith work, range time, and both private and group lessons at the beginner and intermediate levels"
"From sales to service to an amazing indoor range, Cape Gun Works has it all. The staff is extremely knowledgeable and friendly. The shop is loaded with great products and always plenty of great firearms for sale!"
"I really like how they took range safety precautions seriously here. Drove 1 hour here. Even though there’s closer options nearby, I’ll return back to this place for the friendly service the staff has here."
"Highly recommend this place. Nice range facility and well stocked shop. The classes are great too. I’ve taken private lessons to work on shotgun skills and took their newly added simulator class and both were great experiences."
"This place is AMAZING!! Great staff! They are super knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. The facility is beautiful. I seriously can't say enough good things about this place. Will definitely be looking into becoming a member soon."